When you think of a good workout, what comes to mind? If you think of running or lifting weights, you may be missing out on a fantastic way to stay in shape.
Getting a good workout doesn’t mean you have to be dripping in sweat. If you’re looking for a new way to get into shape – without destroying your joints – you really can’t go wrong with these ten swimming pool exercises!
Top 10 Swimming Pool Exercises
When it comes to exercising in your pool, you really can’t go wrong with laps! There are so many different ways you can swim across your pool, from the butterfly to the breaststroke.
You can even doggy paddle if you prefer!
2. Squat Jumps
- To properly execute a squat jump, first start in a standing position in mid-chest deep water.
- Put your arms at your side.
- Lower yourself to a squat, then jump high into the air, moving your arms above your head.
- Repeat ten times.
3. Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicks are great swimming pool exercises for both your legs and your abs.
- Press your back against the side of the pool and grab onto it.
- Extend your body out in front of you, lying on your back on the surface of the water.
- Slowly kick your legs up and down.
- Do ten reps, and repeat for three sets.
4. Water Jogging
If you’ve wanted to get into running, but you’re worried about your knees, or you’re already a runner looking to cross-train, why not water jog?
You can either jog in place, by hanging onto the side of the pool for support or jog across the pool. This is a fantastic cardio workout!
- To bicycle correctly, start by placing your back against the side of the pool and supporting yourself with your arms.
- Slowly pedal your legs in circles, as though you’re riding your bike.
- You also pedal quickly.
- Pedal for thirty seconds to a minute, then rest for a minute.
- Repeat three times.
If you want strong and toned arms, you really can’t skip doing dips!
- For this swimming pool exercise, you’ll want to press your back to the edge of the pool and grab it with your hands.
- Your fingers will be over the lip of the pool.
- Carefully lift yourself out of the water, then lower yourself slowly back in.
- Repeat ten times, for three sets.
Planks are one of the best exercises for a flat and toned abdomen.
- To plank, you’ll want to face the side of the pool and grip the edge firmly.
- Extend your body out behind you until it is rigid.
- Hold this position for thirty seconds to one minute.
- Relax, then repeat two more times.
8. Leg Balances
Fitness also includes having a good balance! Leg balances can also strengthen your legs, too.
- For this swimming pool exercise, stand upright in the water.
- Slowly raise one leg up, holding it behind you.
- Stay steady for ten seconds, then switch to the other leg.
- You can repeat this exercise three to five times.
9. Leg Lift
This swimming pool exercise also combines balance and strength.
- For a leg lift, you can either hold onto the edge of the pool or stand in the middle of it in waist-deep water.
- Slowly raise one leg out to the side, then hold it for three seconds.
- Lower it and repeat nine more times.
- Switch legs and repeat.
On a hard surface, crunches can be bad for your back. However, in your pool, you can work on having rock-hard abs without worrying about injuring yourself!
- Lean back against the side of the pool and grip the edge.
- Extend your legs out in front of you, then pull them to your chest.
- Repeat ten times.
- Rest one minute, then repeat for two more sets.
Swimming Pools in Duncan and Nanaimo
Have you been thinking about getting into shape, but you weren’t sure where to start? If this blog post has motivated you to start working out, then please check out The Best Water Exercises for your Swim Spa!
Or, if you’re ready to move forward with getting your own swimming pool, why not come down to our showrooms? We have the very best pools at the very best prices.
To view our amazing selection of swimming pools, please visit us here at Sun Valley Pools & Spas. Our friendly sales team is looking forward to meeting you and showing you our high-quality pools for sale – and possibly trading fitness tips with you, too!